Cathedral Palate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cathedral Palate

KarenG
KarenG Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Does anyone have experience of this with a young baby? Teats to use etc to help with sucking

Comments

• toast
    toast Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    my daughter has this - a high, arched palate. When she was a baby she struggled to feed. She was NG fed at first. We were advised to gently hold her cheeks as she sucked to improve her latch onto the teat. The other thing we were told to do as her sucking was very weak was to use a fast flow teat. I would not recommend this and I don't think its advised anymore. It caused my daughter to aspirate and she was v poorly with pneumonia.
    Have you seen the feeders Medela do? There's a special needs feeder which is more designed for cleft palates but would work in your situation - my understanding is the high arched palate is very similar in shape but still together - daughter's paed described hers as being the stage before cleft palate. I didn't try this myself but heard good things about it.

I used the Medela soft cup advanced feeder. This is more like cup feeding and is more marketed as something very young babies can use to have expressed breast milk without getting confused by a bottle teat. I liked it very much

If you copy and paste this link, you can see both on amazon. You can probably get cheaper on ebay:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=medela+feeder&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=8912376065&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14296318911632131746&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7j2htmmq0t_b

Guess other than that its a case of trial and error - finding something that works for you. One thing we found that wasn't very good were the wide neck bottles. The traditional narrow bottles and teats fitted in her mouth much better

Good luck!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.