What its like to Wear AFO's? Any tips or advice? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What its like to Wear AFO's? Any tips or advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Dibs
    Dibs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    This hot summer long I have been wearing Ecco's white lace-up boots over my AFOs, with baggy linen trousers or jeans.  My left AFO is quite uncomfortable, especially in the heat. I have an appointment at St Mary's Roehampton on 29 August so am managing with a rubber-like material called poron which I can cut to size, and chiropody felt etc till then.  The heat and the discomfort do act as disincentives to do very much that involves walking.  I am one of those strange people who prefers cool weather, even rain!!!
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    I’m with you on preferring cool weather @Dibs it makes afos so sweaty and gross! Are Ecco shoes good? I’m having a nightmare with smarter shoes, as piedro have changed their styles! 
  • Dibs
    Dibs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Am anxiously awaiting my first pair of Piedros.  Yes, I find the Ecco lace-up ankle boots are comfortable for me.  For smarter occasions I tend to wear black trousers and black ankle boots, although a new pair of white Eccos can look quite smart for a while, in the summer.  Every day is a bit of a challenge in this heat.
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    Piedros are really good, I’ve worn them for nearly 30 years! Are you getting them through orthotics?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.