Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

job centre

chezza43chezza43 Member Posts: 4
Hi my daughter is currently receiving Jsa and gets some payment of pip. As the pip is awarded on a points scoring. She currently makes regular visits to a work programme which job centre sent her to. But as she finds travelling to new places very traumatic I am her travelling companion. But as I work I can't always make it. I feel as though I'm hitting my head against a brick wall wen every time they send her on courses I ask for assistance in travel n get frowned upon. Now the letters always say they will pay travel costs.but as they don't understand she panics about travelling on buses. So far less stressful for both if a taxi takes her there n back. Thanks any advice appreciated


  • poppymarydaisypoppymarydaisy Member Posts: 4
    Your daughter may be entitled to ESA. The waiting list is huge at the moment.
    I am currently in receipt of ESA and waiting on a decision for PIP. There are some parts that overlap in the entitlement, but you're not guaranteed to get one if you get the other (if that makes sense).

    When I started on ESA, I got a note from my GP, and had to get them every couple of weeks to send to the DWP through the 'assessment' phase of the ESA.

    I don't think the DWP cover costs for taxis because of the cost, and I guess, technically, if someone can't travel independently, then they assume that the person is getting benefits (e.g. PIP) or help with this.

    There is a charity here in Norfolk that helps young people who have barriers to work, to get into work. And one of the things they can work on with someone is travelling independently.

    Good luck!
Sign in or join us to comment.