Working with crohns — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Working with crohns

Hi iv not long been diagnosed with Crohn's disease and finding it hard to juggle work and my illness.
Work haven't been supportive and have no understanding, they get annoyed when I phone in sick.
I have cut my hours down and now struggling with bills, feel like I'm fighting an endless battle.
Has anyone dealt with the situation or could help?


  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hi Samantha,

    We're sorry to hear that your workplace is not being supportive of your disability. You may want to talk to ACAS ( to see if they can offer guidance to your employer (or you) about how to deal with your disability in the work place. Your employer is obligated by law to provide you with reasonable adjustments and sometimes it can be useful to remind them of that fact.
    You may want to get the government scheme Access to Work involved so you can have a work place assessment done to highlight any adjustments that could be made to help you stay in employment. To find out more see the Scope information pages here:
    If you are struggling financially it may also be worth checking that you're claiming all the benefits you're entitled to. You can use on online checker just to make sure, this is one run by the charity Turn 2 Us:

    I hope this helps - Scope helpline
  • JetsonGeorge79
    JetsonGeorge79 Member Posts: 3 Listener

    Hi Samantha

    I would just like to add to the useful response from the Scope helpline.

    It can often be helpful to think about the things that you find most difficult on a daily basis and what could be done to make things easier. For example, would it be easier if your desk or work location was moved closer to a toilet? Are you tired and fatigued? Then maybe changing when you work, as well as how much you work would be good (i.e. are you more tired in the mornings or evenings etc.). Also, if you are finding it difficult to get into work on public transport then an Access to Work funded taxi might be available.

    I would recommend thinking things through and making some notes and then requesting a meeting with your manager, or HR rep if appropriate. Have the meeting somewhere private where you wont be disturbed. Bring your notes with you and clearly explain what you are finding difficult and what you think might be the solution. Ask you manager if they have any ideas too. I think there is a specialist Chrones charity who might have some practical ideas about changes you could make to your workplace. Once the changes in place you might feel up to increasing your hours in the future.

    Make sure the conversation is recorded and any actions are noted and have reasonable time-scales attached.

    I understand these conversations can be uncomfortable but it is really important that you get what you need to enable you to keep doing your job.

    Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
  • JenniferU
    JenniferU Member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Hi Samantha,

    There's an employment discussion going on from today for the next couple of weeks, with two advisors who specialise in supporting disabled people.

    Please do get involved if you have any other issues relating to work you'd like to discuss:

  • Rocky
    Rocky Member Posts: 76 Listener

    Hi Samantha,

    You are probably aware of this but just wanted to add that you may find it helpful to contact  Crohn's and Colitis UK.  They have a good Helpline and also local support groups. Tel: 0845 1302233


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.