my benefit — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

my benefit

rila Member Posts: 2
i a m disabled person  and have disability allowance, mobility higher rate and care
highest rate , my husband look after me and gets care allowance .We have three children .My husband works as a carer assistant but in part-time.
We want to know what impact this can  affect about my disability allowance and care allowance?


  • rila
    rila Member Posts: 2
    I want to know , if I will still get my benefits and care allowance?
  • Debbie_Scope
    Debbie_Scope Member Posts: 944 Pioneering

    Dear Rila,

    Thank you for posting your question. 

    In order to qualify for Carer's Allowance

    • you have to be 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you earn less than £102 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)
    The person you care for must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
    As long as your husband is fulfilling the criteria above, your benefits will not be impacted.It is important to inform the DWP of any changes in your circumstances though, so if your husband was not working at the time the application for Carer's Allowance was made, then it would be a good idea to let them know that he has started work.For clarification of your situation it is always best to contact the DWP directly to check with them.If there is any further information you need, please let me know.

    Kind regards


    helpline Information Officer (Benefits, Finance and Housing)


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.