Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Have your say about your online community! Complete our annual survey.

my benefit

rilarila Member Posts: 2
i a m disabled person  and have disability allowance, mobility higher rate and care
highest rate , my husband look after me and gets care allowance .We have three children .My husband works as a carer assistant but in part-time.
We want to know what impact this can  affect about my disability allowance and care allowance?


  • rilarila Member Posts: 2
    I want to know , if I will still get my benefits and care allowance?
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering

    Dear Rila,

    Thank you for posting your question. 

    In order to qualify for Carer's Allowance

    • you have to be 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you earn less than £102 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)
    The person you care for must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
    As long as your husband is fulfilling the criteria above, your benefits will not be impacted.It is important to inform the DWP of any changes in your circumstances though, so if your husband was not working at the time the application for Carer's Allowance was made, then it would be a good idea to let them know that he has started work.For clarification of your situation it is always best to contact the DWP directly to check with them.If there is any further information you need, please let me know.

    Kind regards


    helpline Information Officer (Benefits, Finance and Housing)

Sign in or join us to comment.