Hi, my name is celtic1888! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is celtic1888!

celtic1888
celtic1888 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited March 2015 in Start here and say hello!
I have cerebellar ataxia. I use a 3 wheeled walker and wheelchair coz cant walk any distance. Stay in house with stairs. Cant get ground floor flat. Been on waiting list for years and have max. points to get moved. Just want to see if u can recomend something iv not tried.

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering

Hi Celtic1888,

Welcome to the online community.

I'm sorry to hear about your current housing situation. You say that you have maximum points on the waiting list and this would indicate that there just isn't a suitable property available for you at this time. Have you had an OT assessment at your property and does the OT recommend that you are moved to ground floor accommodation or are there aids/adaptations that could help you manage in the property? It would be helpful if you could give me some more information about this. Unfortunately there is shortage of social housing in the UK so it's not uncommon for people to have the maximum points on a waiting list but no suitable properties to move to and a very long wait for suitable accommodation to be found.

The other option available to you is a mutual exchange using a website such as www.homeswapper.co.uk , however this does depend on what you have been assessed as needing, so if you require adaptations, mutual exchange might not be a suitable option for you.

It might be worth getting some local advice about your housing issue. If you could let me know which part of the country you are living in, I can carry out a search for you to see if there are any services in your area which can help.

Kind regards

Debbie

helpline Information Officer (Benefits, Finance and Housing)

• celtic1888
    celtic1888 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    i live in Dunfermline, Fife. It was the O.T. that informed the housing association that i needed ground floor accomodation and thats how i got max. Points because of danger to me as have fallen down them, or some of them, on several occasions. Have looked into mutual exch. but have had no luck 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering

Have you ever been in touch with Shelter Scotland? They might be able to help http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/ it's most definitely worth getting in touch with them to see if they can offer you some assistance in this matter.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.