If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.


Jaderosalie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
im woundering if any one could help?
i suffer from phsrisos from head to the toe, im in pain when walking most days it effects my bones and nerves i suffer from depression and anxierty i argue with my self most days making my self feel down, i know this is not a disabilerty, does any one else claim for this? and is there any one to help fill the forms out for me? i loose feeling in my hands so can not fill forms out properly 


  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hey Jade

    Sorry to hear you're having troubles.  

    To answer your query, a disability is defined as anything that has a substantial and long-term effect on your everyday life.  'long-term' means 12 months or more, and 'substantial' means everyday stuff that either:

    -you can't do at all
    -you can't do safely
    -it takes you considerably longer to do

    So it may well be worth looking into DLA or PIP (Personal Independence Payments, which is the new version of DLA for adults, currently being implemented)

    You can normally get help with the forms from a disabled persons' organisation (we call them DPOs) and we have a directory of Scope-affiliated DPOs on the Scope website.  You just need to put your postcode in the search box and ensure the 'Information' option is ticked. 

    Alternatively, Age UK offer benefits services in many areas of the country so if you meet their minimum age criteria you could try them?

    Hope that's useful.  Best of luck with it - and feel free to call the Helpline if you have any other queries :) 

    -The Helpline Team 

  • Ceejay
    Ceejay Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Jade

    The Citizens Advice offices have people that deal with benefits, and there will be a local office near you. Make an appointment and they will help you and fill in the form with you. I hope that helps

    Best regards
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.