Bras! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bras!

What are your experiences of bra shopping?

I ask because I used to be a bra fitter in a department store and found that non-disabled people face enough challenges getting nice lingerie that fits well, goes under their clothes properly and suits their shape. In my experience, a bra that does this gives a woman a huge injection of confidence and I remember some women coming out of the fitting room so happy with their new underwear that they decided they 'didn't need the surgery after all!' (blimey..on many levels..)

It was great to see this transformation but I remember that we didn't see many disabled people in the fitting rooms and it's got me wondering. I'm wondering what extra issues disabled people face here and how well the industry is aware of, and are catering to those needs. I'm doing a spot of research into what's out there so it would be great to know what your experiences have been- and what you'd love to see more of in the shops (from products to customer experience!)

so, in particular:
- do you wear a bra? If no - why not?
- What features of bras do you look for? eg front-fastening, non-wired, smooth fabric, aesthetic design, matching underwear, etc.
- Do you find it difficult to get bras in the styles you'd prefer to wear?
- If you need a cup size bigger than D, plus specific features - is this more difficult?
-what is your fitting room experience? Do assistants and bra fitters understand your needs and cater to them properly?
- Do you have any favourite brands or vendors? if so please link :)
- Do you use any aids or adaptations that help you to put on a bra? if so please link :)
-If you find bras an issue generally - how does this affect you more broadly?
- how long do your bras last? Where do you see wear and tear first?

ALSO

if you are not cisgendered and also disabled - what are your experiences?
if you were disabled when you went through puberty - how did your parents/carers etc handle training bras etc. Did you go out shopping or were things bought for you?

Thankyou :)

Beth x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.