Applying for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Applying for PIP

My son currently receives DLA and I am (already) his appointee for this benefit. Last week I received the letter 'inviting' me to apply for PIP. After 20 minutes on the phone the form arrived this week. Can anyone advise how I fill this in (as in) do I fill it in as though my son is filling it in and say "I need help with ..." Or do I fill it is as his carer and say "J needs help with ...." Also when it comes to signing the form is it me or him that signs it?

Hope this makes sense


  • Debbie_Scope
    Debbie_Scope Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hello bunty71,

    As you are the appointee for your son you can fill the form in on his behalf and sign it yourself.
    If you need help completing the form I can help you to find a local service or give you some information to help you complete the form.
    Contact me at the helpline if you would like any further help.

    Best wishes


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.