Let us talk about technology — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let us talk about technology

Options
simonsable
simonsable Community member Posts: 75 Connected
Hi everyone, I am Simon. I am 36 years old and have Cerebral Palsy and no speech. I have been using communication aids nearly all my life. I have had lots of experience in communicating with people with different communication systems. I also attend various communication aids training days through the year.

I am also have an interest in computers and how the Internet can enhance disabled people's lives and independence, thus giving them more opportunities to feel a part of society.

Comments

• hobsonish
    hobsonish Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hallo Simon. I couldn't agree more about the internet being a great way to enhance the communication options for those who have problems with speech.\

my daughter often uses facebook instant messaging to communicate with her mother and I, even though we're only in different rooms in the same house. If she's on her computer, it's much quicker and easier than either getting out of her chair and using her AAC device.

One thing that has consistently frustrated us as a family over the years is the inability to find a decent AAC device that has an SMS text option. We've almost, but not quite managed to get there. I know there are a couple of AAC devices that claim to have SIM card slots to avoid the (highly) troublesome pairing with a phone, and hopefully this will mean we'll be able to identify one and then my daughter will have the ability to easily send short text strings direct to people's phones even when she's not logged into facebook.

So, to cut to the quick, have you any experience of using an AAC device that can actually send SMS texts? As opposed to claiming it can, but then not being able to do so because the phones have changed. Liberator Eco2 mentioning no devices by name ;)

All the best,

Ian
  • simonsable
    simonsable Community member Posts: 75 Connected
    Options
    Hi Ian, good to hear from you. I share your frustration about pairing mobile phones to devices. Does your daughter use a text based communication aid have you tried a Lightwriter? I think SIMM cards go in them. If you want to give me more information, I would be happy to do some research for you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.