child care — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

child care

Jamaica1 Member Posts: 3
My son is 19 months old with cerebral palsy.i want to go back into work as we don't get much help with benefits but at the same time I am scared about where I should send him as well as if me going back into work is the right thing to do.HELLLPP


  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Member Posts: 207 Courageous
    edited December 2015
    Hi Jamaica,

    your local authority should keep lists of childcare providers in your area. Benefits advice might be useful - there could be something you are missing out on.
    Feel free to contact the helpline about this if you'd like to talk further.

    -Scope helpline
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey Jamaica,

    It's a pretty tricky decision for any parent because it's so personal - what's right for you and your son isn't going to be the right option for others in the same circumstances.. so it's difficult to advise!

    f the motivation to go back to work is exclusively financial, I'd say first things first check whether there is anything that you'd be entitled to receive that you aren't currently getting. You could get in touch with a disability organisation that offers a benefits advice service, scope has a directory... you need to make sure the 'information' dropbox is selected.

    If it's not just money driving this decision but other factors too, then having a think about what your sons needs would be, if any, over and above standard childcare provision. For example, does he need regular physio? How does he feed? once you have a clear idea about what you are looking for, you can start finding out about childcare providers locally that have had experience in this area.
    You can ask your council for a list of childcare providers or check out, they have a database.

    hope this helps.

  • Louweb93
    Louweb93 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi, I'm a single mum and work full time. My son is 2 and a half and has Cerebral Palsy. I returned to work when he was 9 months.
    I use a normal nursery and they are very good with his physio, SENCO and health visitor appointments :) He also is encouraged to use his walker too! Any specialists who want to review my son just go to nursery :)
    I'd just call and speak to a nursery you like and discuss it with them. Make sure they accept children with disabilities though as one I enquired about before didn't accept any disabled children due to it 'not being worth their time or money.'


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.