school can't do any more — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

school can't do any more

GreatisKate Member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask an Educational Psychologist.


  • GreatisKate
    GreatisKate Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Hannah,

    My son is 7 years old and at the last 2 parents evenings, his teacher has been concerned with his inability to sit still when on the carpet, his fidgeting, and his inattentiveness to the extent where he appears to not be listening to what she says, yet when asked he is able to repeat it. The previous parents evening was a discussion about how they would monitor this behaviour. However, the most recent parents evening led to her saying the school can't do any more with the strategies they have in place for him and that she advised us to take him to a doctor. Now, I am reluctant to do so as I don't feel that the strategies she has employed have been effective, clearly this has been going on for the last 2 terms without progress. Her concern of him now being a distraction to others is understandable, but the work that he himself produces is brilliant. She has said herself that his work is of a great standard and that he is a very bright boy, but that maybe he would be capable of more if he weren't so inattentive. More than this though is that she only ever speaks of him being unable to sit still on the carpet, this is predominantly the occasions she speaks of most frequently whereby my son's inattentiveness is highest. She is not a medical professional so I can't receive her speculative diagnosis as professional opinion. Which is why I would like to ask if you would recommend a psychological assessment or evaluation instead? I feel that even this may be unnecessary, as the symptoms and behaviours she describes are not displayed at home (his father and I are separated but remain amicable and cooperative) by either of us. But I don't want to appear to not have taken on board her concerns, as disagreeable as they may seem to me. My son says that he does not enjoy school, he regularly states that the best part of his day is playing with friends, but he does his reading and homework and is excelling in education, especially with his maths, with which he is most enthusiastic about. Some advice on what action to take would be gratefully appreciated!

    Many thanks

  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello Kate,

    The crucial thing here is to understand why your son has difficulty sitting still on the carpet. According to this article there are 22 possible explanations!

    Only when we understand the reasons behind a child's behaviours can we be sure that the interventions we put in place are the most likely to be effective.

    An educational psychology (EP) assessment can explore your son's difficulty sitting still, as well as why he is not enjoying school. Is this difficulty purely at school or out of school too? If only at school then it suggests there are links between his behaviour and the learning environment/relationships and an EP assessment would be most appropriate. However, if there are difficulties out of school as well, then you could ask your GP for a referral to your local child development centre to see a paediatrician and occupational therapist.

    Hope this helps :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.