My daughter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My daughter

Options
autisy
autisy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi my name is char, I have 3 children and 2 of them are autistic.

my son Alfie has classic autism, sensory issues etc 

but it this post is asking help with my middle daughter Courtney aged 6 she is autistic verbal social communication differculties. 
Courtney has explosive behaviour aggression, anger 
this can be triggered by anything and her moods flip back and forth like jeckyle and Hyde. 

I I feel there is more going on with Courtney. 

Comments

• MaryB
    MaryB Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Hi Char, thanks for getting in touch. Are there particular situations where these behaviours are particularly prevalent (e.g. home or school) or at particular times of the day?

Mary    
  • autisy
    Options
    Hi Mary, 
    Courtney displays most of her physical behaviours at home but the other behaviours are anywhere. 
  • autisy
    Options
    A lot of her behaviours peak when been told to do something mainly. 

Sometimes she she explodes over nothing at all its very sudden. 
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Options
    Hello Char,
    There are many reasons why children show negative behaviours and it is important that they are understood within the child's context and from their perspective in order to effectively make changes.
    Children with ASD often have difficulties with emotional regulation, partly due to the frustrations they experience and partly due to how their brain is wired. I would recommend asking your GP/paediatrician for a referral to a clinical psychologist for further assessment so you can understand your daughter's behaviours and then plan how best to support her.
    My tip for you is to focus on responding to the different triggers (at times when you can work them out). If you can help to reduce her frustrations and minimise things that make her feel angry, then this will have a positive impact on her behaviours. Easier said than done I know, but it is important to understand the causes in order to bring about positive change.
    The next time she shows aggression, give her some space and make a note of where she was, who she was with, what she was doing, etc, not just at the time but a few minutes previously as well. Was the trigger environmental/sensory? Mis-communication? Difficulty understanding?
    Tell your daughter you can see that she is feeling frustrated, angry, sad, etc. and use symbols if it helps. Focus on helping her feel calm again- you cannot address the triggers while she is still angry. Do you have strategies for helping her to calm down?
    Once calm, then together you can reflect on the situation and what could have been different that may have helped her.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.