appropriate property — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

appropriate property

amyread1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi my name is Amy Read I'm 26. I have been in a wheelchair for 2 years now and I live on the first floor with no lift to get in and out of my property I need to be carried up and down the stairs by my boyfriend. I cant do anything in the house and spend most of my time in bed as everywhere else in my flat is very difficult to get to. It feels like nobody wants to help me move to a ground floor I have been looking for 2 years and no joy. I feel so depressed as I used to go out all the time and now I don't is there anywhere I can go to get the help I need. 


  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi Amy,

    What a nightmare situation to be in. I really feel for you, it can't be easy for you or your boyfriend living like this.
    1. Have you had an OT assessment at your flat since you've been using your wheelchair? If so, what was the outcome?
    2. Do you rent your flat and if so is it social housing or private renting?
    3. Have you had a housing needs assessment carried out by your local council?
    If you could let me know whereabouts in the country you're living, I'll look up some local services and sources of information which might be helpful.

    I look forward to hearing from you again.

    Debbie :)
  • amyread1
    amyread1 Member Posts: 2 Listener

    hi Debbie

    I have had an OT assessment and they said I need to be moved as they can not make the relevant adaptions to the property. I am with circle 33 but I get housing benefits. And the council im with don't seem to want to help. I live in North London, Islington it feels like nobody wants to help me with this situation. if you could help that would be so helpful.

    Amy :)   

  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi Amy,

    I'm so sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed your last post.

    So, you have an OT report which says that you need to be moved because they cannot make the relevant adaptations. It's good that you've got the report and it should help but it might not be a quick process i'm afraid.

    Have you spoken to the Housing Aid Team at Islington Council to get their advice about this?

    You might be stuck in between the council and the housing association and each one could be pointing to the other to take responsibility which is not helpful because you'll be bounced back from one to the other all the time. 

    Is Circle 33 able to assist you with a move to another property? If not have they given reasons why?

    Have you considered a mutual exchange?

    If your property is unsuitable for your needs it could be considered unreasonable to remain in occupation of that property and you could be classed as homeless. Have you spoken to Shelter about this?

    It's not easy getting housing, there is such a shortage that even if the council has a duty to assist you, you may still have to wait for a considerably long time before a suitable property becomes available.

    Sounds like some more help is needed with your query. I checked for a local disability service and came across Disability Action in Islington but they are in the process of moving and closed until further notice. They have provided a document of alternative advice and support in Islington which you'll find in the following link. 

    Finally, there is an accessible housing provider called Habinteg and you can carry out a property search on their website. You may be able to join waiting lists for an accessible property from them so take a moment to look at their website.

    I wish you all the best and hope that things start working out for you soon.
    Feel free to get in touch any time and let me know how things work out.

    All the best
    Debbie :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.