help help help — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

help help help

I'm a 38 disabled man that is about to be made homeless, I have just split with my wife and have to leave to family home. I have 2 boys so to leave thenm will be hard enough. I have been to the council but as I am making myself intentional homeless they won't help me . I cant go private as I cant afford the deposit and the council say I cant get a council deposit scheme as I'm not on the register which I can't be because I'm making myself homeless ( which I'm not as I didn't ask to split with my wife). I'm scared alone , I have no family or friends as they were all her side.

please help


  • Martin Emery
    Martin Emery Member Posts: 10 Connected
    Hi,  sorry to read this, and can see how you are worried about how things may turn out.  There are some charitable organisations that may be able to assist with a housing deposit.  Many charities have links to certain areas of life, so its a good idea to use the turn 2 us site to do a grant search.  They can also provide a benefit search so you can see what benefits you may be entitled to when living alone.  the grant search has well over 2,000 charities there, put work history in, and other information, you will be supprised at what the search brings up.  Take care and good luck <a href="">https://www.</a>
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi Gifton,

    I'm sad to hear that your marriage has broken down. You're going through a very big life change and it's easy to get caught up in the emotions and not think straight. With so much going on it can be really difficult to understand why you can't get help.

    The reason that intentional homelessness has been brought up as an issue by your local Council is because you probably have legal rights to occupy the family home. This is a very complex area involving multiple areas of law. Shelter has some excellent information about Relationship Breakdown and Housing and it's definitely something you need more advice about.  

    It can be incredibly traumatic for all involved, including children so try not to make any hasty decisions without getting some proper advice and support first.

    I'm happy to talk further about this but I need a bit more information from you such as your current housing status (tenant, owner occupier etc). If you could also provide a bit more information about your disability and health this would also be helpful.

    I hope that things get better soon.

    Best wishes


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.