Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

hate crime

alicehayes Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Anyone know how people with disabilities can get free or cheap legal advice, it may be a bit beyond the cab.

I am having trouble being harassed and bullied by 4 sets of neighbours who have a problem with council making my disabled bay bigger, and this has involved assaulting me, lying , threatening my friends and blocking my bay Police have been repeatedly told but done nothing.

Now my neighbour is filming me without my permission to intimidate. There seems to be no one to help. Police not acting.

Anyone have any ideas? wondering also if there are any unions who help members with disability hate crime..


  • edith
    edith Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I don't know where you're based but look for a law centre - they will provide free advice or be able to direct you to someone who can. You could also contact the Equality and Human Rights Commission. Keep a diary of all the issues noting dates, times and what has happened. If your house is rented from a Housing Association or a local authority make sure they are aware of what's happening. Hope that helps
  • JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    edited July 2016
    Hi @alicehayes I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a horrid time with your neighbours. Please make sure you report this, here's some further information:
  • Geo08
    Geo08 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi @alicehayes I'm a second year law student at the University of York and I thought I would offer you some legal insight. I'm obliged to note that this is NOT legal advice and if you do decide to take any legal action you should consult a solicitor.

    Now that the legal disclaimer is out of the way, the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 says in section 1 that a person may not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another person. Basically that means if they engage in conduct which would cause a person of 'reasonable firmness' to fear alarm or distress on more than one occasion can be guilty of an offence.

    Section 2A of the same Act highlights the offence of stalking. A offence of harassment becomes an offence of stalking when a person engages in an extra activity of the type associated with stalking. In particular, section 2A(3)(g) notes that watching or spying on a person can constitute stalking.

    I know you have said you have informed the police, but do you mind if I ask how you did this? Perhaps by calling 101? It might be worth going to a police station and having a chat with the Desk Sargent in order to deal with the issue more effectively.

    If that doesn't work I would send letters to each of your neighbours highlighting that you believe their conduct amounts to harassment and if absolutely everything fails you can issue legal proceedings in the civil courts under section 3 of the Act. This basically means you don't need to involve the police. If you win you can get damages for anxiety and any actual financial loss that you have suffered as a result of the harassment. The court will also issue an injunction to stop any harassment and if your neighbours don't comply with the injunction they can be sent to prison or fined.

    In the meantime I would keep a log of any incidents that happen and take photos if you can of them recording you.

    If you have any more questions, please let me know.

  • milo
    milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    Read this with interest as family members having similar problem 
  • vysvader
    vysvader Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    edited July 2018
    That's a well-presented and worth info. Either way, the worse part comes with proofs because the neighbors will be witnesses each other (4? against 1, in the end maybe 20:1) in a court since the police officers gave them an echo (so they're already organized in the case of a court) instead of an investigation, searching for proofs. I and my wife, we pay something around £1000/month taxes and I'm still thinking what's it for if the police and the other black holes spending the taxes are nothing doing.

    Do you've installed cameras and voice recorders on your property? Still, I'm not sure it's legal to record them if they don't know it even on your own property. George or someone else can know. 
    You can feel free to get in touch 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.