Hi, my name is MaiaB123! — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is MaiaB123!

MaiaB123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2016 in Start here and say hello!
My daughter has Cerebral Visual Impairment, Auditory Processing Disorder and other tactile sensory issues, as well as epilepsy.  At this moment in time, (she's 15) she's supposed to be transferring from a  Statement of 0.8 to an EHCP, but it's been an absolute nightmare, I noticed that there are courses run by SCOPE, so thought I'd look into those intially.


  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi MaiaB123, welcome to the community. @BethSlade may be able to point you in the right direction.

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey MaiaB123!

    we have a service that is called Independent Support (or IS for short) - it does what it says on the tin really, supports parents & young people who are trying to get an EHCP, completely independently from local authorities, school etc.  They can be with you for the whole process and help if there are disagreements etc.

    We have the contract to provide this in 6 areas of the country - but where we aren't available, there will be another provider who is.  


    ^^this link will help you find your IS service.  If it's Scope (our contracts are Leeds, Norfolk, Suffolk, Thurrock, Southend-on-Sea, and Peterborough) you can refer yourself, using our (very quick and simple) online form: 


    If you have general q's about EHCPs, feel free to fire away - although it might be worth using the search bar (you can search within the community) for chatter about EHCPs in case someone else has already come across the same issues as you're experiencing :)

    Good luck moving forward, and a very big welcome from me :)

    -B x


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.