Need help - Taken off ESA and refused JSA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Need help - Taken off ESA and refused JSA

derek107 Member Posts: 1
Hi could anyone tell me where i could get some help please i'm disabled with lots of medical conditions i have had a medical & taken off ESA & told i must go on JSA  to get any benefits but you have to look for work before they sign you up & i'm 62 years of age & with all the medical problems i have i wont be able to look for work i'm in a dark place at the moment & it's not getting any better my doctor has give me a sick note for three months i took that in to sign on JSA & they have rejected me signing on plus won't accept the sick note could any one tell me what i can do please.   


  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi @derek107,

    Sorry to hear about the loss of your ESA.

    You can appeal this decision and must first ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration and this means that an internal review of your claim will be conducted by the DWP. You have to complete this step before proceeding to tribunal. You can provide extra evidence if you have it available. You need to challenge every point you disagree with and give full reasons why you disagree. It's best to send your MR request in writing but if you ask for it by phone, be sure to send a follow up letter. If the MR is upheld you'll receive a mandatory reconsideration notice which you'll need in order to progress to tribunal. Once you have lodged your appeal with the tribunal, the DWP must then pay you the basic rate of ESA until the appeal is heard. There's no payment during the MR process unfortunately.
    More information about this on our website 

    You may need some help with this and there's some places you can go to get some support. 
    Try our services directory to see if there are any information services in your area.

    Age UK may have a local service in your area and they can often help with benefits queries

    You can also get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau and some councils also have welfare rights teams.

    I hope you manage to get things sorted out. Get in touch if you need anything else.

    Best wishes


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.