Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Moving into adapted property - can I get help with furnishing?

leebleeb Member Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in Disabled people
Hi everyone..I have cerebral palsy and am moving into my own property soon,all adapted. I am 37 years old. I dont have any furniture and wondered if I can get any help with anything.


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi leeb

    I work at the Benefits Training Co and we are helping Scope.

    Local authorities have schemes that can sometimes help with furniture when setting up home. The schemes vary considerably and awards are discretionary, meaning that a positive outcome can not always be guaranteed or even predicted. But it may be worth a go and there is certainly nothing to lose.

    A further difficulty is that this help is called something different depending on where you live. I suggest you have a look here where you can at least look up the name of the scheme by local authority and contact it via your council's switchboard or website. It's then a case of being in their hands and seeing if there's any help available.

    Good luck
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.