Lost benefits after 25 years, don't know what to do — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Lost benefits after 25 years, don't know what to do

darrell Member Posts: 5 Listener
I'm living in pimlico and finding out through the governments new benifits scheme that even though i am disabled and have been for 25 years I'm not entitled to any money, meaning because my partner works more than a certain amount of hours. So I'm no longer allowed to be an independent person which depresses the hell out of me, with Incapacity Benefit it didn't matter if you had a partner who worked, the point was that if you could not work through no fault of your own. I just don't know what to do just sit at home waiting for everything to end. what do the government thinks happens to my bills without money they can't be paid... The so called help for people with disabilities seems to everywhere apart from westminster...


  • buffalo
    buffalo Member Posts: 15 Listener
    I am puzzled that you do not appear to be receiving DLA or PIP neither of which are means tested.  as a long term disabled person you should be entitled to PIP.  ring up the PIP claim line and start the process now.  
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi Darrell

    I'm sure you're not the first person to be confused by the benefits system!

    I work at the Benefits Training Co and we are helping Scope on the online community.

    There are three types of benefits and only one type is affected by a partner's work. These are the benefits that are means tested or in other words only paid if your's and your partner's income and capital is below certain levels. A partner's work can mean you don't meet the unemployment conditions or it can bring your joint income above the levels allowed. This includes benefits like income related Employment and Support Allowance.

    But some benefits are not means tested and behave differently. For example there are contributory benefits including contributory Employment and Support Allowance which can be paid no matter how much your partner works or earns. The same was true of Incapacity Benefit as you said. The trouble with the contributory version is that it requires you to have paid sufficient national insurance contributions in the lead up to your claim and even then sometimes contributory ESA can only be paid for one year or in other words it can "run out" after that time.

    Personal Independence Payment is a non-contributory benefit. This means you don't have to have paid national insurance but it is also non-means tested and so it doesn't matter how much you or your partner earns. To help you decide whether you want to claim this benefit, it's useful to look at the points system which PIP uses: you need 8 points for the standard rate, and 12 for the enhanced rate (that applies to both components). You can have a look at the points system here. If you think you may qualify you can make a claim by phoning 0800 917 2222 (or textphone: 0800 917 7777)

    I hope this helps
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • darrell
    darrell Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello, I just want to clear a few things up. I am receiving DLA and have a Motability car, i keep being told to claim PIP but from what I hear online the Gov. are cheating people out of that as well. I am afraid to claim PIP just in case I lose my car because then i would just be stuck indoors more than i am. i want to work but to work i need a wheelchair and as i have been waiting since august last year for one.
  • kenny
    kenny Member Posts: 74 Courageous
    I'm afraid you will have to claim pip as dla is finishing, you will have no choice in the end
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't have to claim PIP until the DWP tell you to - you stay on DLA until then.  Have the DWP written to tell you to claim PIP?
  • darrell
    darrell Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I have not been asked to change yet, I think they are changing people over in order of area's and I'm in Pimlico London surrounded by rich people and MP's i Practically bump into them in my local shops.
  • darrell
    darrell Member Posts: 5 Listener
    i think i will end up on PIP i just hope all is sorted by then im tired of having to fight to prove im disabled when my Dr and my specialist say i am but people lie for money who are in the end employed by the gov. to get my benefits stopped. it kills me to even think whats happening is reality.

  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2017
    We just have to fight back against the jokers.  Appeal, if necessary.  65% of PIP appeals succeed.  Tribunals know what pathological liars and inadequately-medically-trained clowns Atos and Capita assessors are.
  • darrell
    darrell Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Yes I will fight to keep my dla but i lost my esa because i dtarted to believe them and i wanted to work and there was lots of fake people telling me they could find me work. Turns out people don't want to employ someone who will tale time off because some times i can't move because of pain. And these disability jobs advisers don't know actually exist at my job centre..when i did get to the disability jobs club thing they had no idea how to get people jobs..anyway I'm just venting now ...society has gome mad. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.