Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Can't get move to ground floor flat - any suggestions?

fmccannfmccann Member Posts: 5
edited September 2016 in Disabled people
Partner is housebound and can't get a move to a ground floor flat. Any suggestions?


  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi @fmccann,

    Are you able to provide a bit more information and I'll see if I can help?


  • fmccannfmccann Member Posts: 5
    Thanx for your interest. I have been contacting different groups including cab, masis and local counsellor but it appears I've come to a standstill. Basically we have been prioritised by council for a move, but no housing available in Mk. Homeless get priority. Need advice on either a group or organisation who may have suitable accommodation or has some clout to help make something happen. 
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi @fmccann,

    Is this Milton Keynes where you're living?

    What band have they placed you into and have they indicated how long you could be expecting to wait for a suitable property?

    The Homelessness Code of Guidance provides some definition about homelessness.

    "There are a number of different factors that determine whether a person is homeless. Under s.175, a person is homeless if he or she has no accommodation in the UK or elsewhere which is available for his or her occupation and which that person has a legal right to occupy. A person is also homeless if he or she has accommodation but cannot secure entry to it, or the accommodation is a moveable structure, vehicle or vessel designed or adapted for human habitation (such as a caravan or house boat) and there is no place where it can be placed in order to provide accommodation. A person who has accommodation is to be treated as homeless where it would not be reasonable for him or her to continue to occupy that accommodation."

    You could be considered homeless on the basis that the current property is not suitable and it's not reasonable for you to continue to occupy the property. It's not a particularly nice route to take but the council does have legal duties. It's a case of working out which duties apply to your situation.

    I think it would be worth having a chat about your situation and I'd be happy to talk to you some more about this. 

    Let me know if you'd like to talk in some more depth about this. If you could email me your contact details I can arrange to call you to talk this through and see if there are any ways forward.

    Best wishes
  • fmccannfmccann Member Posts: 5
    Hi Debbie 
    do you have a direct number
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    You can normally contact me on 0808 800 3333 but our phone's call handling system is not working today. If you can email me with your number I can arrange to call you once our phone's are back up and running. We're not sure yet how long our phone's are out of action. 
Sign in or join us to comment.