Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Need help with moving/finances

rayray Member Posts: 1
I am in desperate need of help packing moving  I am going to new masonette  on the3rd of October government grants take 6 weeks I can't wait that long I need help fast I am disabled mentally and have copd I am desperate it's all to much for me and I need to find £100  for rent on23rd


  • Chris_AlumniChris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 695 Pioneering
    edited September 2017
    Hi @ray, you might like to call the Scope helpline for free on 0808 800 3333 (9am - 5pm). I'll also tag in @Debbie_Scope, who may be able to help you.

  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi @ray,

    If you're currently in receipt of Housing Benefit you might be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment Lump Sum which can help with moving costs. 
    DHPs cannot be awarded towards council tax liability but can be used towards housing costs. Housing costs are broadly defined and can include costs such as deposits, rent in advance and other lump sums as well as meeting an ongoing shortfall. Check with your local authority about this payment if you're receiving housing benefit.

    If you're in receipt of means tested benefits a budgeting loan could help with some of the costs including the rent in advance. https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits/how-it-works

    Your local council may also have a Local Welfare Provision scheme which you can apply to for help. Local Welfare Provision replaced Social Fund Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants in April 2013. Your local authority may have a scheme to assist you. http://www.cpag.org.uk/lwas 

    You can also search for grants on the turn2us grants database but it might not be easy to get a grant in place in time. There will also 

    I hope you're able to find some help in time for your move.

    Good luck
Sign in or join us to comment.