Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Possible breach of Data Protection on Motability scheme
Hi, I note that DVLA has now changed online info on disabled car tax from disabled to nil in response to possible breach of privacy and Data Protection Act with any member of the public checking if a car is taxed as disabled. I now show an equal concern to a possible privacy DPA breach on any car leased via the Motability scheme. Anyone who goes to[removed by moderator] site and types in a cars registration will soon be able to ascertain whether a car is on the scheme or not as unless the registration shows as being on the scheme it will not continue. This means anyone can check if a car is on the Motability scheme. I realise some people may not mind if this information is public but this is not my point. The point is that it is serious breach of a disabled persons rights and could easily be avoided by using your Motability reference number etc. I would request that anyone with concerns over this contacts Motability as if enough complaints are raised they could insist that [removed by moderator] close this breach of privacy. This is not about how mamy people care if someone knows their car is on the scheme, but protecting the rights of those disabled people who do.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 275 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 698 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 750 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.