Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


susutaruk Member Posts: 2
 I have a Son Down's syndrome,Autism,severe learning Difficulties,( Mental Health Problems) now his 18 years old .his still full time education,I received PIP,child benefits and tax credit for him,for cares allowance and half income sapport,after his turn 18 yrs everything going worse,they stop school transport.i have to top up housing rent,I have to pay council taxi I have to pay school transport £ 700 per year.etc.....


  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @susutaruk,

    Are you still receiving the child benefit and tax credits or did they stop too?

    There's a few things to look into here but firstly if you could let me know about the child benefit and tax credits that will be a great starting place.

    What rates of PIP is he receiving?

    Best wishes
  • susutaruk
    susutaruk Member Posts: 2
    Hi his still get tax credit and child benefit and high rate PIP both High rate and is still full time education.Piper Hill ,speacilist sapport School...
  • bam
    bam Member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    I think the best thing about this site is it actually really helps people step by step through the benefits process. If you never had to do this before it can be an overwhelming experience to all of a sudden being stuck in this position and are trying to figure out how to get help to try to make their lives better. It's difficult to ask for help. I really wish the United States had something like this site. It's difficult to be sick and trying to figure out what to do next to live. Suffering from some disease is almost like having three full-time jobs. It takes all of your time and energy to try to figure out how to make your lives better. Healthy people really don't know what it's like to have to go through this. It's a scary and overwhelming experience being sick. The process is also really really intimidating. I remember when I first got sick I didn't have health insurance and I had no idea what to do and how to get help. I think this site really really benefits people and the troubles they go through on a daily basis. I desperately need to get a mobile chair but it is so difficult in the United States because of no free healthcare. We have to pay deductibles and health insurance for medications and equipment to help you improve your lives.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi @susutaruk

    I'll follow on from Debbie's post.

    It seems you are getting income support, carer's allowance, housing benefit and council tax support. And it seems your son is getting PIP at the enhanced rate of both the daily living and mobility components. If this is the case we would expect you to be getting a maximum award of both housing benefit and council tax support. There are some possible explanations for you having to make rent and council tax contributions...

    1. It could be that your housing benefit doesn't cover the rent in full because of "ineligible charges" in your rent that cannot be paid by housing benefit. For example, this could include charges in respect of water rates and/or heating/hot water in your home. But this is unlikely to be the issue if you have noticed a change in your benefit because you always have to pay these yourself.

    2. Could it be that your income support has stopped? If it has this would cause your housing benefit to be suspended. That said income support is usually quite secure for carers and so i would be surprised if this were the case.

    3. It could be that the housing benefit office has applied what we call a non-dependent deduction since your son turned 18. This could be correct if your son had left education but would be wrong if he is still in full time non-advanced education with child benefit and child tax credit remaining in payment.

    I suggest you contact the offices paying your income support and housing benefit to find out why things changed when your son turned 18. If you can provide some further information one of us should be able to help.

    Best wishes
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.