Hi, my name is JEW_1965! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is JEW_1965!

Options
JEW_1965
JEW_1965 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2016 in Start here and say hello!

Good Morning,

I was diagnosed as having dyslexia in 1976 and spent the next seven years in substandard private schools which should have been able to treat my "learning disability". I was admitted back into the public school system in Dallas where I attended a high school of low academic standards, then was admitted to The University of Texas at Austin in 1984 due to a fortunate clerical error at a time when there was an unofficial policy to deny admission to dyslexic applicants. Over the next two years, I successfully fought the UT Austin bureaucracy to receive all necessary accommodations for my dyslexia - which was comprised of dysgraphia, dyspraxia, and dyscalculai - and graduated in 1989 with a GPA of 3.23 and a bachelors degree in Organizational Communication. I soon wrote, self-published, and marketed a book which explained how dyslexics could achieve academic success and combat hostile school bureaucracies through the utilization of special cognitive advantages which dyslexia provides. This book sold over six thousand copies worldwide and was placed on the recommended reading lists of several organizations for the learning disabled. Last week, I was surprised and saddened to read an article published by The Houston Chronicle which exposed discrimination against learning disabled students in Texas. I had thought that such disgraceful practices ended years ago with the passage of legislation to protect the rights of all students. I must assume that similar barriers currently exist elsewhere. I have decided to make my book available for free public distribution via email. Please contact me at jameswoods75218@yahoo.com if you wish to receive a copy.   Best Wishes, James Woods

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.