Not working and can't sign on due to small private pension — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Not working and can't sign on due to small private pension

Sunshine2 Member Posts: 1
I'm 62 not working suffer with oestoarthritis in both my knees and finding it difficult  to get a job and because i have a small private pension i can't sign on and finding it difficult to cope financially.


  • Philip
    Philip Member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Depends on how much your private pension is, you could still sign on to get credits toward your State Pension, the private pension s fully deducted from your benefit, if it's a small pension you might be entitled to something from the DWP. Contact Welfare Rights or Citizens Advice Bureau, they have a better idea than some of the Jobcentre  Plus advisors 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    It sounds like you need a benefit adviser to go through possible benefit entitlement with you.  This is because I am concerned that you may not be receiving your full benefit entitlement, for example you do not mention that you receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP).  

    PIP is  benefit for people that have difficulty getting around and/or with personal care e.g. dressing, washing and cooking.  This benefit is non-means tested, which basically means that the amount of your income or savings are irrelevant to the claim.  That is, you could be a millionaire and still claim this benefit. 

    Even with a small private pension you may also be entitled to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).   ESA is  a benefit for people who are assessed as being unable to work. 

    Given the above you might like to discuss your specific circumstances with an adviser on the Scope helpline (0808 800 3333).

    I would urge you to seek advice, and if you do, please have in mind:
    - a list of what income you have, and how much each of this income is, and
    - an idea of how much capital you have e.g. savings in a bank, ISA's, premium bonds  
    The above will help the adviser give you accurate advice. 



    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.