What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


BillyNolan378BillyNolan378 Member Posts: 4
Last year my ESA stopped apparantly it shouldnt have,and I managed to have it reinstated.My wife started doing more hours so I thought that was the reason why. But I got told I should have been placed in a group that doesnt take my wives earnings into account. Should I be getting conttabutation based payment?.


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi BillyNolan378

    Contributory ESA (paid based on your past NI contributions) is not affected by a partner's income at all. But contributory ESA stops after one year unless you are placed in the support group. Income related ESA can be paid indefinitely whichever group you are in but it takes into account a partner's income. In practice we often see ESA stopping after one year where there is a working partner because lots of people are in the work related activity group rather than the support group. If you are in the support group your contributory ESA can continue.

    I suggest you check with the benefit office handling your claim and find out which group you are in, either the work related activity group or the support group. If you are not in the support group let us know and we will advise you further.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.