Is there any government help to buy a portable mini-scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Is there any government help to buy a portable mini-scooter?

PamN Member Posts: 2 Listener
I'm 69 years old and not one single doctor I have ever seen has diagnosed me correctly. I have seen 50+ consultants many private, cost a fortune and now we are too poor to move or do anything. All I would like to know is is there any government help to buy a very portable mini scooter to fit in my motobility car. Until I was 52 I was very wobbly, I have been all my life but clearly neither my present GP or the consultants he sent me too had learned of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I do have this even if my present rheumatologist refuses to believe me. The geneticists at the EDS clinic in Harrow were horrified with what I have been subjected to. 14 totally inappropriate or unnecessary operations all failed and all made me worse. My husband is now becoming very arthritic too, but we can't get any help. A lady from social services came round about 5  years ago and all I got was a handle for the front door. 


  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello @PamN,

    Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.

    Statutory government funding is provided via the Motability Scheme but if you're already on the scheme and leasing a car this isn't going to be an option for you.

    Charitable funding could help with the purchase of a scooter though and I would recommend trying the grants database on which comprises of around 3000 charities offering grants.

    Do also check with the Mobility Trust as to whether they can help you with funding for a scooter and also Friends of the Elderly. Your local Age UK service may also be able to advise you about local funding options too.

    I hope this has been helpful.

    Best wishes
  • PamN
    PamN Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much Debbie. I'm 69 I have Edhers Danlos, Lupus and neumerous other problems mostly caused by medical ignorance of EDS and this has cost a fortune, now GP can't refer me or help me with anything. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.