Muscle cramps in cp — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Muscle cramps in cp

Options
Gothicangel
Gothicangel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi my name is Amanda i have Spastic diplegia, as i get older i find a i am getting  a lot more cramps in my ankles and calves at night.
what's the best thing to help this

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Amanda, I'm 30 and have spastic diplegia as I've got older the symptoms connected to my cp have become worse, I was getting noticeably tighter and having more spasms. I went back to wearing splints a few years ago which has helped with the tightness in my ankles and calves, I started with wearing a splint on my more affected side during the day and a night splint on my less affected side when that was tighter and achy. When that wasn't helping I went to wearing splints on both legs, which helped with the tightness. I also take baclofen which really helps. Do you see a physio? They can really change things just by giving you some different stretches. Chris
  • Gothicangel
    Gothicangel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Chris Thank's for the reply, i'm in my 50's  and haven't seen a physio since i was 15. I don't get any help i have just struggled along with life, and having kids took up  all my time, Reading the comments on here about taking bacofen i think i'm going to ask my Dr if he will proscribe it for me
    With a bit of luck it will help.  Amanda 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gothicangel how are you getting on? Have you seen the dr about medication and physio?  

Hope you are doing ok, Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Gothicangel

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing muscle cramps.

You might find something helpful by looking at our group discussion https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/28690/things-that-you-have-found-helpful-for-managing-your-cp#latest

Also do some a little bit of research on how taking a magnesium supplement can sometimes  be helpful in reducing muscle cramps.

Please let us know how you get on

Noah 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.