Muscle cramps in cp — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Muscle cramps in cp

Gothicangel
Gothicangel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi my name is Amanda i have Spastic diplegia, as i get older i find a i am getting  a lot more cramps in my ankles and calves at night.
what's the best thing to help this

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Hi Amanda, I'm 30 and have spastic diplegia as I've got older the symptoms connected to my cp have become worse, I was getting noticeably tighter and having more spasms. I went back to wearing splints a few years ago which has helped with the tightness in my ankles and calves, I started with wearing a splint on my more affected side during the day and a night splint on my less affected side when that was tighter and achy. When that wasn't helping I went to wearing splints on both legs, which helped with the tightness. I also take baclofen which really helps. Do you see a physio? They can really change things just by giving you some different stretches. Chris
  • Gothicangel
    Gothicangel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Chris Thank's for the reply, i'm in my 50's  and haven't seen a physio since i was 15. I don't get any help i have just struggled along with life, and having kids took up  all my time, Reading the comments on here about taking bacofen i think i'm going to ask my Dr if he will proscribe it for me
    With a bit of luck it will help.  Amanda 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gothicangel how are you getting on? Have you seen the dr about medication and physio?  

Hope you are doing ok, Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Hi @Gothicangel

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing muscle cramps.

You might find something helpful by looking at our group discussion https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/28690/things-that-you-have-found-helpful-for-managing-your-cp#latest

Also do some a little bit of research on how taking a magnesium supplement can sometimes  be helpful in reducing muscle cramps.

Please let us know how you get on

Noah 

Brightness