Christmas shopping and disability - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas shopping and disability

2»

Comments

• MSmum99
    MSmum99 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    edited December 2016
    Support your local shops.  Mine have gone out of the way to improve access when asked or will bring things out to me.  I also shop online and use 'gives you live' to raise money for my yoga mobility group when shopping - can choose your fave charity to support - how about Scope? Very simple to use.  I avoid the shops in town that are overcrowded with extra displays.
  • JadeB
    JadeB Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    There is nothing I hate more than a crowded shopping centre, at any time of year. I don't appear to have a disability at first glance so people are not at all considerate or carful. The amount of times I have thought of wearing a t shirt saying 'I have cerebral palsy please be mindful.' Just so people don't step on my feet, knock me over and push me about x
  • Fundamentalist
    Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Hi from Fm. If shops like asda are going to have so-called "autism friendly hours" then it's not anywhere near enough just turning off machines and escalators etc., Like I wrote and told them recently they need to keep their staff from lurching into raucous cackling fits as well as I suffer with misophonia which has some similarities with autism in that it makes me far too sensitive to people's appalling behaviour, especially maniac cackling fits which are all too common in supermarkets, especially at the checkout where you're stuck until you finish your transaction, that's when they pounce and take full advantage which absolutely enrages me and all too frequently this leads me into an angry confrontation with the staff and because of that I've ended up permanently forced out of several shops and supermarkets far and wide. Fm.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I do mystery shopping and feedback from a wheelchair user point of view. Often its staff training and attitude that makes a difference to me. Like people understanding I don't want individual bits brought to me...I want to be able to see everything.

Also, (hi @Fundamentalist - sorry, i just said this to you on another thread) I am hypersensitivity to touch and hate the idea of people all round my wheelchair. I'd never heard the word misophonia ... but I do find lots of sounds too hard now.  They make me anxious, imagine horrible things and really angry. Black friday sound like hell.,

But whizzing around town is fun! And I enjoy meeting people 

I'd love tips on how to carry shopping on a wheelchair!!!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.