Housing — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


I am currently on pip and esa. I own my own home but having difficulty with the stairs.I have a council application for a flat  what happens with paying the rent when you own your own home .


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    @FrankiTHS any ideas? 
    Senior online community officer
  • FrankiTHS
    FrankiTHS Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi @kcaldicott I'm afraid this isn't really my area of expertise but the best bet would be to ask your contact at the council to point you in the right direction of someone who could help with more info.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more use on this one!
  • Noah
    Noah Member Posts: 423 Pioneering
    Normally you wouldn't be eligible for a council flat if you own your own home. However the council should be able to advise if you would be eligible for a DFG grant to help cover some or all of the cost to make your current accommodation suitable, for example installing a stair lift.

    I'm guessing you have considered the option of selling up and buying somewhere more suitable.

    It's not always easy to find suitable accommodation that meets ones needs, I wish you the very best and please let us know how you get on.

    Kind regards

  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hello @kcaldicott,

    If you're offered a council property would you move into that and keep the property you own or would you sell up?

    If you keep the property will there be a mortgage on it and would you be renting the property out?

    Is your ESA contributory or income related?
    Do you live alone and do you have any dependent children living with you?

    This will help me work out your options.

    Many thanks


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.