Housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing

kcaldicott
kcaldicott Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am currently on pip and esa. I own my own home but having difficulty with the stairs.I have a council application for a flat  what happens with paying the rent when you own your own home .

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @FrankiTHS any ideas? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • FrankiTHS
    FrankiTHS Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi @kcaldicott I'm afraid this isn't really my area of expertise but the best bet would be to ask your contact at the council to point you in the right direction of someone who could help with more info.

Sorry I couldn't be of more use on this one!
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Normally you wouldn't be eligible for a council flat if you own your own home. However the council should be able to advise if you would be eligible for a DFG grant to help cover some or all of the cost to make your current accommodation suitable, for example installing a stair lift.

I'm guessing you have considered the option of selling up and buying somewhere more suitable.

It's not always easy to find suitable accommodation that meets ones needs, I wish you the very best and please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Noah 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello @kcaldicott,

If you're offered a council property would you move into that and keep the property you own or would you sell up?

If you keep the property will there be a mortgage on it and would you be renting the property out?

Is your ESA contributory or income related?
    Do you live alone and do you have any dependent children living with you?

This will help me work out your options.

Many thanks
    Debbie

Brightness