Dyspraxia — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Julesch Member Posts: 2 Listener
My step daughter is 20 yrs old, living at home and has a 10 week old baby. She was diagnosed with dyspraxia aged four and has developed coping strategies along the way to assist although some strong traits are still apparent. During the pregnancy and especially since the birth of her baby her symptoms have been exacerbated and anxiety is much more evident. She has to be reminded to carry out personal care, she cannot cook or prepare food for herself and cannot care for her baby. I do not work anymore, and get no income and spend 24/7 looking after both her and the baby. 
Currently she is in receipt of maternity allowance and child tax credits, I was wondering if she was in receipt of the correct benefits and if not what benefits are available? 


  • Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Depending on the severity of her needs, she would be entitled to PiP.
    However it's a minefield of questions that make it hard enough for most people to get, but its worth trying and you must seek help with filling out the forms!

    Apparently the PiP assessment is based on an American insurance companies assessment to catch out people trying to falsely claim, that's how despicable this government is!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    @Julesch There is a benefits calculator that might be of use to you and your daughter.  

    I also wonder if it would be worth her speaking to her Health Visitor to see what support there is locally? 
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi Julesch,

    If your step-daughter was working before she started getting maternity allowance, then she could be entitled to working tax credit (WTC) as well as child tax credit, for as long as the maternity allowance lasts. HMRC will want to know how many hours she was working before her maternity allowance. 

    You don't mention whether she has a partner living with her, but it doesn't sound like she does - do post back if she has.

    I agree that she might be able to get PIP based on what you've told us. That looks at activities of daily living, and someone who requires prompting or supervision to do certain things could qualify. PIP won't affect her other benefits except that she might be entitled to MORE in income-related benefits including WTC, housing benefit and maybe later on income support or ESA.

    When her maternity allowance finishes, options could be income support (if she doesn't have a partner) or employment and support allowance (ESA). If she is in an area where Universal Credit (UC) has started for her circumstances, then she may have to claim that instead, but it's worth getting advice about ESA because it sounds like she was working recently and might be entitled to the contributory form of ESA, even if UC has started in her area.

    Finally it's worth checking whether she can get any help right now with the rent or council tax via housing benefit (or UC if it's started for her circumstances) and council tax reduction. As Sam says, the benefits calculator is a good place to check for what she might be missing.

    Finally, you say you have no income and if your step-daughter gets PIP, you could qualify for carer's allowance based on all the help you give her - but that would have to be help for her needs, not the baby's. Post again if you want more advice about your own possible benefits.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope this helps you @Julesch Let us know how you get on.
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.