Feeling confused — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Feeling confused

anne123 Member Posts: 1 Listener
After some advise ,been signed of work for just over a year and Dr has advised me to contact esa..I'm on income support,is esa the same as pip..feeling confused as what to do 
Many thanks 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anne123 it can be so confusing can't it?!

    Take a look at the benefits section on the Scope website which may be able to give you more information too.

    "Employment Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit for people of working age who have a limited ability to work because of ill health or disability.

    Personal Independence Payments (PIP) were introduced in 2013 to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for new claimants ages 16 to 64. PIP is not a means-tested benefit and isn't affected by earnings, other income or savings."
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi anne123

    I hope you found the benefits section on the Scope website helpful.

    I noticed that you posted that you are on Income Support.  Are you on Income Support as a carer of someone else, or are you a lone parent? 

    If you contacted Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you may find that your Income Support would be replaced by ESA, and as such you need to make sure that you are not worse of claiming ESA. 

    Personal Independence Payments (PIP) however is paid in addition or on top of all other benefits. 

    Please post again if you need any further information, as, as Sam said the benefits system can be confusing.

    Kind regards

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.