Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is Mol!

Mol Community member Posts: 52 Connected
Hi I am 49 years old and had to have C5-C6 cervical disc replacement, also they had to trim the one away as it was squashing my nerves. I also have Haemochromatosis and Nash (non alcoholic liver Cirrhosis), I have been diagnosed with early  osteoarthritis in both knee's. I have also just been told that all the pain I am getting in my shoulders and neck is because of degenerated disease. I have lost a lot of movement in both arms and i am right handed and cannot even lay on my right side because of the pain. I would like to find out if I am classed as Disabled? I currently work and want to keep on working but my conditions are preventing me the peace of mind doing my job. If i get registered as disabled it would give me  peace of mind that my company could not do anything to take my job away. I am confused because my doctors will not say if I am or not disabled. Can anyone advise please.


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mol welcome to the community

    According to the gov website, "You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities."

    Citizens Advice says "
    Some conditions are automatically treated as a disability under the Equality Act. But if you don't have one of these conditions and you want to make a claim for disability discrimination, you will have to show the effect your condition has on your daily life to prove it's a disability.

    The Equality Act says a disability is a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day- to- day activities.

    Normal day-to-day activities are those carried out by most people on a regular basis.

    For example:

    • walking or driving
    • washing or getting dressed
    • cooking or eating
    • using public transport
    • talking or hearing
    • writing, typing or reading
    • carrying or moving things
    • being able to concentrate or understand
    • being able to form social relationships.

    To be considered a disability, your condition must have a substantial adverse effect on your daily life. This means it must have more than a minor effect. The condition doesn’t have to stop you from doing something completely, but it must make it more difficult. It may also be that you avoid doing certain things - for example, because they cause you a lot of pain or make you very tired.

    Some conditions start out has having a minor effect on your daily life, but get worse over time. This kind of condition is called a progressive condition - for example, dementia and motor neurone disease. With conditions like this, it doesn't matter if it only has a minor effect now. It can still be treated as a disability as long as it's having some effect on your daily life now and it's likely to have a substantial effect in the future."

    Do you think it would be possible to speak to your doctor so you had a clearer understanding of your illnesses?

    Senior online community officer
  • CathyInSouthAfrica
    CathyInSouthAfrica Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Thank you Mol for asking this question, and Sam for your very informative answer.
    I am also confused about whether I am classed as disabled or not.
    I was told that if you can do a full time permanent job, you are not classed as disabled. I understand this, but sometimes it gets confusing.

    One doctor told me that I am perfectly normal until I move.
  • Mol
    Mol Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    Thanks for your reply Sam, I have spoken to one of your collegues and I have contacted DWP for a pip application form.

    I am fed up with GP'S to be honest as I have been complaining about my conditions for years and they never seem to take it serious. 

    The one thing they love saying is take paracetamol which does not do anything,
    I do have a few more conditions which I have not mentioned but all of them are life long. 

    Another example is I have been complaining about my thumbs for over 3 years and have been limited what I can do. I had physio and accupuncture but was told there was nothing wrong and discharged.

    Now I have been to see a hand therapist and the first visit was a written assessment, the second visit she examined my hands and said straight away that I had trigger thumb in both hands the right hand worse than the left.

    I don't mean to sound negative about our national health service as I do believe we have a good health service that is being pushed to its limits.

    Cathy I would suggest you apply for disability at worse they can turn your claim down, You have nothing to lose.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.