Neuropathy pain in hands - recommendations for software and home items
Just landed at this website while searching for software to make using my laptop easier. I have a rare neurological disorder, which among other things causes neuropathy pain in my hands. I can use Dragon Naturally Speaking to dictate. But I've had trouble using the scrolling commands, especially when selecting favorites from my long list. Using the move down command until I get to the desired bookmark is as tiring as using my stiff and painful hands. And when I try to use the mouse, I have trouble scrolling down and selecting the site I want to go to. I can't always get the pointer on the down arrow or I click on the wrong bookmark. I am wondering if there is software that would make this easier. I'd like to be able to dictate the name of the site in order to go there. If anyone has ideas on how to make this simpler and less painful, I really appreciate it.
In addition, I am struggling with basic ADLs and always searching for a tool that will make it easier to use my hands. Opening a can of peas or corn is incredibly frustrating, no matter what type of can opener I use. I am also searching for a recliner with a power foot rest, since I don't have the strength in my legs to close it manually. I am very independent, live alone, and have become very good at creating makeshift solutions to various problems. I like to be practical rather than just moan and complain. But I can't find answers for these problems..
Would love to interact with other disabled folks and discuss issues that affect us all. Look forward to hearing from others.
- 48.2K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.8K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 614 Work and employment
- 513 Education
- 931 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 903 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 236 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 1.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 574 Chronic pain and pain management
- 631 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 687 Autism and neurodiversity
- 815 Mental health and wellbeing
- 282 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.