Neuropathy pain in hands - recommendations for software and home items — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Neuropathy pain in hands - recommendations for software and home items

leftyjoe61
leftyjoe61 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Just landed at this website while searching for software to make using my laptop easier. I have a rare neurological disorder, which among other things causes neuropathy pain in my hands. I can use Dragon Naturally Speaking to dictate. But I've had trouble using the scrolling commands, especially when selecting favorites from my long list. Using the move down command until I get to the desired bookmark is as tiring as using my stiff and painful hands. And when I try to use the mouse, I have trouble scrolling down and selecting the site I want to go to. I can't always get the pointer on the down arrow or I click on the wrong bookmark. I am wondering if there is software that would make this easier. I'd like to be able to dictate the name of the site in order to go there. If anyone has ideas on how to make this simpler and less painful, I really appreciate it. In addition, I am struggling with basic ADLs and always searching for a tool that will make it easier to use my hands. Opening a can of peas or corn is incredibly frustrating, no matter what type of can opener I use. I am also searching for a recliner with a power foot rest, since I don't have the strength in my legs to close it manually. I am very independent, live alone, and have become very good at creating makeshift solutions to various problems. I like to be practical rather than just moan and complain. But I can't find answers for these problems.. Would love to interact with other disabled folks and discuss issues that affect us all. Look forward to hearing from others.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leftyjoe61 welcome to the community. 

Have you read the Scope technology guide? It might be of help to you.

We also have an equipment guide that could be useful.

I hope you enjoy using the community! 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    Hi @leftyjoe61
    Regarding the Dragon Naturally speaking scrolling by move down commands from long lists - Yes this can be annoying. Do you use Google Chrome or Internet Explorer?

What version of Dragon are you using? Home? Or Professional? Professional has greater facility for more custom built commands

If you use Chrome - You may find setting say your top 6 bookmarked pages to load automatically on launch useful. This can be done by the settings menu in Chrome. I find this helpful

If you use internet explorer it may be easier to set a custom command (internet explorer has less updates so can often work better with DNS as a result). You would probably need two stages to the custom command - launch of search engine then the website you wish to load. But it does very much depend on individual website construction as to their navigability using Dragon

Regarding mouse operation - Have you tried a trackball mouse with a scroll ring? These don't require you to pointer on the arrow. You just turn the scroll ring - no pointing involved

Hope this helps
    Best wishes 

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    A user on Twitter recommended the Lepsis website, which offer products for computer control.

Brightness