Arthritis, spine problems and fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Arthritis, spine problems and fibromyalgia

bettychell
bettychell Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, I also have a problem with my spine l3 l4 and l5 are crumbling and pressing off the sciatic nerve but I've been told that an operation could leave me in a wheelchair for life . I've had arthritis for over 40 years and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year . I've been on dla and I'm now in the process of applying for pip. I'm totally beholden to my husband who does everything for me . Here's hoping that it goes through. 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bettychell - I have RA and have been awarded standard rate both daily living and mobility.  I have appealed to tribunal as think I should have been awarded enhanced both elements. Over 60 per cent of appeals are successful.  

Hope that your application goes smoothly at first stage.
  • catchacold2
    catchacold2 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi @bettychell I too have the same spinal conditions albeit all 5 of my lumbar discs have crumbled resulting in stenosis/curved spine/complete lower muscle wastage and then going on  (some yrs later) to cause claudication in both my legs.
    ( I was told from the beginning that my problems were inoperable (knowing what I  now know that was just as well imo )
     I now get high rate care/mobility but it seemed in my case that it was the claudication that secured my high award.
    With claudication it is no longer an option to push through pain and walk a short distance (something we all know only to well) as claudication will all of a sudden (after a few feet or so) mechanically stop you in your tracks forcing you to be a temp statue until the oxygen blood level returns to normal. (weird frustrating and also a painful experience)
    I am in a catch 22 as I cannot sit in a wheelchair for very long as I need to recline as much as possible. I stand to eat and recline with supporting pillows to use a laptop.
    Laying down flat or sitting in a bath are both distant memories. Having to think and plan ahead with everything is now the norm.
    I'm totally beholden to my wife who does everything for me.
    I wish you well betty and my advice when form filling or at assessment is to be as descriptive as possible whilst keeping to the point. Failure to get across your side of the story will enable the assessor to input their own set of standard labels. This is encouraged in their training manual. Best wishes :) p/s the often quoted 60% success rate at appeal CAN now vary depending on the presented conditions being considered.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.