Hi, my name is ShellyM! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is ShellyM!

ShellyM
ShellyM Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi all.

I'm new to this community. I've been reading some of the posts and think its so wrong that we have to fight all the time when you have disabilities.I am fighting at the moment for my daughter who has several disabilities and other problems and scored no points for ESA. I think it is scandalous.

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @ShellyM, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you're having difficulties - if you need any advice on benefits at all you might want to ask one of our benefit advisors, or you can share your experiences in the 'disability benefits, money and work' category.
  • Francesca1994
    Francesca1994 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi Shelly.
     My name is Francesca I'm 22 and I have cerebral palsy. I know exactly where you're coming from and I think the whole social care system needs a complete revamp as I've had to fight on numerous occasions to receive more hours from social services and ways to look for employment as I can no longer access full-time education due to funding, because of your needs you have to fight just to get anywhere in society nowadays and you are perceived to be alienated because sometimes people think those with additional, learning or physical difficulties don't need anything or they don't deserve to be part of our world and I think it's disgusting!
     Please let me know if you need anymore help.

Francesca x
  • ShellyM
    Thanks all for comments. I have got welfare rights on helping with the ESA at the moment. But got the dreaded PIP forms to fill in as well. I'm downloading as much info as i can find to help with that. But probably will have to get other help with it. 
    So stressful these things. I did manage to get an extension for when the forms have to be in, so that helps a bit. 
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    It's like we're almost being penalized for being disabled
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Quite.  I see the letters ESA and feel sicky....  Still haven't sorted it out
  • ShellyM
    Whenever I see a brown envelope in the post for my daughter I feel sick. It should not be like this.
     I am just starting the process of filling out forms for the tribunal for her ESA its so maddening that we have to do this. Part of the problem is getting reports from consultants at the eye infirmary. And we are going to have the same problem at the audiologists because when you get to a certain age your only entitled to a hearing review every three years. It is not helpful at all for the people who unfortunately have disabilities medical problems and have to rely on benefits through no fault of their own. Sorry on a rant now lol
  • ShellyM
    I posted the dreaded PIP for my daughter off, got help to fill it in. I wish I had done the same for the ESA. May not have had to go to tribunal. We have enough stress without having to do that.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.