Worrying about my daughter moving out — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Worrying about my daughter moving out

oasis45 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I have depression and hidradinitus supportive there is no cure for this. I receive pip care component standard and esa. My daughter helps me with washing applying dressings shipping med cooking etc she is moving out in next to weeks I am so scared how I will manage how can I get some help I need to move from my private rent as it's 3 bedroom and I won't be able to pay the top up now I am trying to apply for a bungelow that has a wet room as can't manage a bath most of the time I am getting super stressed and feel so down any help or suggestions greatly appreciated  ty


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oasis45 welcome to the community.

    Your post reminded me of a similar one recently by @shirley60https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/30947/i-am-worried-what-will-happen-to-me-when-my-daughter-moves-out 

    In this post @DebbieVoakes gives some great advice that might be relevant to you too, she said:

    "If you haven't had a care needs assessment recently, it might be a good idea to think about asking for one to take into account that you will be on your own. It might be that you could have an increase in your care package. Your social worker (if you have one) will also be able to let you know what is available in your area in terms of support and provision for hot meals.

    If you're living alone and on certain means tested benefits and no-one is claiming Carers Allowance for you, you might be eligible for some extra financial help by way of the Severe Disability Premium. You haven't told us about whether you're getting benefits and which ones but if you would like more information about the extra help available, let me know."

    Hope this helps, do join in on other posts in the community, we have a lovely group of people here with lots of different experiences.
    Senior online community officer
  • bubbly
    bubbly Scope Volunteer Posts: 26 Connected
    From what you say, sounds like you might need some additional support-as Sam suggested it's worth getting in touch with your local authority social services. Needing support washing is something they would support with.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oasis45 I just wondered how you were getting on?
    Senior online community officer
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Member Posts: 132 Pioneering
    If I had a magic wand local council swimming pools would also be acessible/adapted bathhouses with private rooms with all modcons, bath versions and wetrooms, and 24hr accessible laundry, or social enterprise would do it, maybe RADAR. Along with help to adapt houses and mental health Haven type places. Our area has a single MH contact number and a place called haven if you need extra support, as well as CMHT/GP, and local community and courses etc. Sometimes this is more than we need. According to us or them. But there's a general move to get people away from going to A&E in crisis. And times that are stressful are indeed stressful. 
    Lucky unlucky
    Guess my diagnosis,
    It may help, but
    Don't guess my kids's


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.