What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

advise on benefits/support.

sarahannesarahanne Member Posts: 3 Listener
Sorry I posted this on someone else's discussion. I didn't realise how to do it to start lol.I am signed off of work with depression, anxiety and stress. Part work related part a number of losses in my life over the past 4 years including loosing my son at 38weeks pregnant. I'm still currently getting csp but this will end soon and I'm not sure I I'm ready or will ever be ready to return. What support is there if i stay signed off or if I hand in my notice. What would be the best option. Your advise would be greatly appreciated.


  • izaiza Member Posts: 471 Pioneering
    Hi Sarahanne, 

    Sorry to hear you come true the life hardships, I hope you will feel much better soon and hope you get some family/ fiend support too. 
    Have a nice weekend. 

  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    I think I've answered most of your questions on your previous post but just to say, yes if your statutory sick pay (SSP) is finishing then do claim ESA once SSP comes to an end. You will need to provide sick notes from your GP.  Once you reach the assessment, you can get points within ESA for problems with coping with change and with getting stuff done ('initiating personal action'). Of course we can't say definitively but you may get enough points (15 or more) once you are assessed. You can claim for at least 13 weeks before being assessed.

    It doesn't matter whether you stay signed off from work or hand in your notice. As long as your SSP has stopped, you can claim ESA. Being employed or not isn't particularly relevant. You might want to get advice elsewhere on your employment options, as resigning may not be the best option if you think you might want to work somewhere else in the future - on the other hand, it would stop your employer from going for what's called a 'capability' dismissal.

    As well as ESA, which might be based on your national insurance contributions if you've been working for a while, I would look at PIP, and perhaps other help if you are on a low income. You can start a benefit check here.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.