Need advice on support for working with a disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Need advice on support for working with a disability

ozed Member Posts: 3 Listener
I am 38 years old and a black african who has been in UK since 2002. I am a graduate (Bsc Political Science) from a Nigeria University. I have got a physical disability from a very young age.


  • ozed
    ozed Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have being working with people who have got autism and learning disability in an organisation for the past 3 years but last year June i had to stop work due to lower back pain and have been advice by my doctor that i will have do admin or office work due to my disability. In other words i cannot do work that will make stand on my feet for sometime or the back pain will increase. I have been out of work for 6 months and still waiting on my employers regarding the decision that they will take due to the doctors note on my condition. Please can anyone advice me on what support is out there for me or what i should if my employers cannot find me an office job.
  • iza
    iza Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 590 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Hi all @ScopeHelpline, @BenefitsTrainingCo
    Could some one advice an above here please? 

    Thanks Iza
  • Mol
    Mol Member Posts: 52 Connected
    Hello ozed your company must do everything they can to help you, if it means reducing your hours, helping you find something more suitable in the workplace because of your disability. Only if they offer you positions and you turn everything down they can terminate your contract. Also a lot of companies if you are off sick on a long term bases can offer ill health severance. You can find out all you rights by looking through the equality act 2010 which all companies are binded by law. I hope that is of some help to you.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Phone ACAS for advice about disputes with employers.
  • ozed
    ozed Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks everyone for your advice
  • 6less
    6less Member Posts: 6 Connected
    When I became disabled in 2008 the government Access to Work programme was helpful in funding workplace adaptations. They may be able to assist your employers to find a way that you can continue employment with them. Also remember that as others have stated you are protected by legislation and you should seek advice ( CAB , ACAS , trade union if a member etc)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.