Which benefits can I claim? (Heart Transplant Patient) — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Which benefits can I claim? (Heart Transplant Patient)

HumzaSheikh Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am a heart transplant patient. It has been 13 years since my transplant and I am now 21 years old. I have had trouble with mobility since my transplant due to weakness, light headness, weakness, dizziness, chest pains and more. 

As a transplant patient I have to take multiple medicines called immonosuppresants which limit my immune system. If I do not take these medicines my body will run the risk rejecting my heart which is why they are essential.

This means that I am a lot more vulnerable to illnesses than a person with a healthy immune system. I attended school and college with very poor attendance which made it very hard to keep up with my studies and I ultimately gave up on attending university due to this.

Similarly I believe the same situation will take place if I tried to get a job as I would likely have to travel further and always will have the issue of a weak immune system. 

I have now started my own online business from my home as it was the only option I had left due to the limitation my transplant has brought on to me. I currently do not claim any benefits apart from a blue badge and would be very appreciative of any help I can receive.

I believe being accepted into mobility scheme would be life changing for me as it would allow me to have my own personal vehicle travel and allow me to travel unattended.

Would it be possible for me to recieve an Enhanced Rate Mobility Component and have access to the mobility scheme?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,



  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @HumzaSheikh, I'm sure our benefits advisors will be along to help you soon, but in the meantime you might like to check out our online benefits calculator to get an idea of what you may be able to claim.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi Humza,

    To get the enhanced mobility component (which you can then use to pay for a motability vehicle if you wish, via the motability scheme), you'd first have to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

    To get the enhanced rate of the mobility component you would need to score 12 points in the mobility activities. There are 2 mobility activities, one which is about actually moving around, and one which is about planning and following journeys. You can add points from both activities.

    The easiest way to check if you might qualify is to do the PIP self-test. That looks at the daily living component too which may also apply to you (it's only the last two activities which are about mobility). 

    You start your PIP claim off by ringing 0800 917 2222, but it's later on, when you have to fill in the PIP2 form, that questions about what you are able to do, what you struggle with, and what causes you weakness or dizziness become really relevant. If an activity would cause you to be in pain, dizzy, weak etc then you should be considered not to be able to do it.

    I'd advise that you claim PIP sooner rather than later as it can't be backdated (claimed for a period before your date of claim).

    Thinking about other benefits, if you are working at least 16 hours a week, then once on PIP you may be able to claim Working Tax Credit (this does partly depend on where in the country you live, as Universal Credit is starting to replace Working Tax Credit). If you have any rent or council tax for which you are liable, then you might be entitled to Housing Benefit (again, assuming Universal Credit hasn't started for your circumstances) and/or Council Tax Reduction from your local authority.

    You can do a benefits check here.

    I hope this gives you a place to start and recommend you do claim PIP. Do post back if you have further questions.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HumzaSheikh I wondered how you were getting on and if you had applied for PIP and mobility?
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.