If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

suendensuenden Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA and AA
I recieve lower rate pip, but recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia do I need to tell them this


  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    @suenden - I suggest that you ask your question in 'Ask a benefits advisor' section.
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have had a change of circumstances then the CAB advices you to let DWP know. 

    They say: "You need to tell the DWP as soon as possible if your condition changes because this can affect your Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

    Examples of things that may change how your condition affects you include:

    • your condition gets better or worse

    • the level of help you need changes

    How to contact the DWP to report a change  

    Report a change as soon as possible. You can call or write to the DWP to tell them about the change, but you must write to them if you’ve changed your name. Once the change is reported, the DWP will write and let you know how it affects your PIP.

    You’ll need to include these details when you report a change:

    • your full name 

    • your date of birth 

    • your national insurance number 

    • the date the change happened or will happen 

    • the thing that has changed 

    PIP helpline

    Someone else can call on your behalf but you need to be with them so that you can give permission for them to speak for you.

    Telephone: 0345 850 3322

    Textphone: 0345 601 6677

    Open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm

    Calls to this number can cost up to 12p a minute from a landline, or between 3p and 45p a minute from a mobile (your phone supplier can tell you how much you’ll pay).

    Address to write to

    The contact address to use is on your original decision letter.

    Keep a record of the change

    It is a good idea to keep a written record of the fact that you’ve reported the change to the DWP. For example, in case the DWP disagrees that a change has been reported.

    If you report the change by phone, you can ask the DWP to send you a written record of the call. If you write to report the change, keep a copy of the letter."

    Senior online community officer
  • emkins40emkins40 Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Does your GP support and acknowledge your condition has worsened and do you believe you can get the extra points to move to enhanced rate? It's a big risk to change an existing award as potentially you could lose it all on reassessing so speak to your Go and get support first! Take care Emma 
  • AlexAlex Scope Posts: 1,324 Pioneering
    Hi @suenden,

    How did you get on? Did you tell the DWP and did anything change with your benefits?

Sign in or join us to comment.