access to work - help with travelling — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

access to work - help with travelling

sukkam Member Posts: 3 Listener
Please can someone help with this topic.

My daughter have been offer a job in Bristol but we live in Bath, and she have got chronic back pains as well as other health problems :-

cerebral palsy 
degenerative disc on neck

The bus journey alone will take her about 1 hour plus 0.5 miles from home to get o the bus and another 0.5 mile from bus stop to work place.  And is a full time job she have been trying for this admin job for so long now not sure what to do.  Is there a way that she can get support for travelling to work, like she can use taxi from home ( door to door)  this will help.

I would be grateful if someone can help us on this

many thanks.


  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sukkam - I suggest that you copy what you have written above to the 'Ask a benefits advisor" category where there are benefits experts.
  • JayPee
    JayPee Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi- she needs to contact Access to Work - asap.Link is:-

    Good luck with  the job. If it is a big employer- get her to make contact with the occupational health department.
  • Ajk110
    Ajk110 Member Posts: 47

    Hi @sukkam the answer is that yes, help can be provided with transport through the Access to Work scheme. Every case is considered individually. Keep in mind that Access to Work need to make a business case to justify any awards and will look to demonstrate as much efficiency in spending as possible. So, she may need to explain why she can't, for example, get some of the way by public transport. She may also be asked to make a contribution towards the taxi which, if memory serves me correctly (it's been some years since I claimed transport on the scheme), is deducted from the claim you submit for the money to be repaid. Alternatively she may be awarded the difference in cost between the cab and the journey on public transport, rather than the full cost. But yes, in short, help is certainly available for this. An Access to Work application should be made at the earliest opportunity.

    Hope everything goes well,


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sukkam Has she spoken to her employer and asked for their support?
    Senior online community officer
  • Stayce
    Stayce Member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Hi @sukkam

    You can certainly put in an application for Access to Work travel component - This is something I do myself. I get part of my journey supported by Access to Work The best thing to do is to fill in the application online (that way you and your daughter can talk through together as you go). In my experience it is better to submit for the hardest part of the journey whatever that is for your daughter

    You will then hear in 5 days about further info that is required for application. This will be a medical letter supporting your case plus three taxi quotes from different taxi companies

    If you are then successful once this information is reviewed your contribution will be worked out by either pence per miles travelled but in most cases it is the cost of public transport if it were possible to use it.

    Hope this helps if you need any further assistance let us know

    Good luck and congrats to your daughter on the new job 

    Bedt wishes

  • sukkam
    sukkam Member Posts: 3 Listener
    thank you for your reply,  it is very useful. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.