access to work - help with travelling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

access to work - help with travelling

sukkam
sukkam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Please can someone help with this topic.

My daughter have been offer a job in Bristol but we live in Bath, and she have got chronic back pains as well as other health problems :-

cerebral palsy 
scoliosis
degenerative disc on neck

The bus journey alone will take her about 1 hour plus 0.5 miles from home to get o the bus and another 0.5 mile from bus stop to work place.  And is a full time job she have been trying for this admin job for so long now not sure what to do.  Is there a way that she can get support for travelling to work, like she can use taxi from home ( door to door)  this will help.

I would be grateful if someone can help us on this

many thanks.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sukkam - I suggest that you copy what you have written above to the 'Ask a benefits advisor" category where there are benefits experts.
  • JayPee
    JayPee Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi- she needs to contact Access to Work - asap.Link is:- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/access-to-work-factsheet/access-to-work-factsheet-for-customers

Good luck with  the job. If it is a big employer- get her to make contact with the occupational health department.
  • Ajk110
    Ajk110 Community member Posts: 47 Courageous

Hi @sukkam the answer is that yes, help can be provided with transport through the Access to Work scheme. Every case is considered individually. Keep in mind that Access to Work need to make a business case to justify any awards and will look to demonstrate as much efficiency in spending as possible. So, she may need to explain why she can't, for example, get some of the way by public transport. She may also be asked to make a contribution towards the taxi which, if memory serves me correctly (it's been some years since I claimed transport on the scheme), is deducted from the claim you submit for the money to be repaid. Alternatively she may be awarded the difference in cost between the cab and the journey on public transport, rather than the full cost. But yes, in short, help is certainly available for this. An Access to Work application should be made at the earliest opportunity.

Hope everything goes well,

Aidan

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sukkam Has she spoken to her employer and asked for their support?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    Hi @sukkam

You can certainly put in an application for Access to Work travel component - This is something I do myself. I get part of my journey supported by Access to Work The best thing to do is to fill in the application online (that way you and your daughter can talk through together as you go). In my experience it is better to submit for the hardest part of the journey whatever that is for your daughter

You will then hear in 5 days about further info that is required for application. This will be a medical letter supporting your case plus three taxi quotes from different taxi companies

If you are then successful once this information is reviewed your contribution will be worked out by either pence per miles travelled but in most cases it is the cost of public transport if it were possible to use it.

Hope this helps if you need any further assistance let us know

Good luck and congrats to your daughter on the new job 

Bedt wishes

• sukkam
    sukkam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    thank you for your reply,  it is very useful. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.