Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA support group

LouweeseLouweese Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am in the ESA support group and would like to do voluntary work. Do I need to inform or ask permission from  DWP and put it in writing?


  • scouserscouser Member Posts: 14 Listener
    As fair as I no I am also in the support group and read some were in my letter off them that I can do voluntary work but much reform them first but if you ask them they could also think that if you can work voluntary why not part time etc hope this helps 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Louweese,
    It's always best to inform the DWP of anything like this, and yes put it in writing and keep a copy, or make a clear note for yourself of when you inform them & how.

    There is no limit on the amount of voluntary work you can do, as long as you are not paid for anything apart from expenses caused by the work (for example, travel).

    It's just important to tell the DWP so that they understand that this isn't a change in what you can and cannot do for the purposes of ESA. You still have limited capability for work related activity (you still meet the conditions for being in the support group).

    Hope this helps.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.