ESA Appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA Appeal

ive just been told that my ESA is being stopped, even after a mandatory reconsideration, whereby I had to phone to ask for the results and I've still not heard in writing. I was told that it was 'good news' and that I had passed the medical assessment!! 
The assessor was not English, and I found it difficult to understand her. I have fibromyalgia, CFS, knee and back problems  and I am waiting for surgery on my shoulder. I actually have the pre-op assessment next week so I'm hoping it won't be long then for the surgery to take place. I am in such a lot of pain. My GP wrote a letter of support for me, categorically stating that I am unfit to work. And I attached other medical evidence for the assessor to read in support of my claim. 
I am 61 in a few months, and I have been caring for my husband all last year as he was diagnosed with Prostate cancer .... and this week I found a lump in my breast. I have a mammogram and other tests being done next week, and will be seeing the breast consultant on 1st March. 

Is is there anyone who has attended a tribunal for ESA ?  
If so, please could you give me the procedure as I am definitely going to appeal via the tribunal, but would like as much advice as possible please. 
Thank you in advance 

The Cwtch Fairy 


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi Cwtchfairy,

    I'm not sure why your ESA is stopping if you passed the medical assessment and have been told its good news. Have you received anything in writing from the DWP yet?

    It might be better to wait until you have that letter before you appeal so you know what grounds you are challenging them on.

    If you do need to appeal though, then you can read about how you do this and what happens at a tribunal on the Scope benefit pages at

    I wondered if your husband was receiving personal independence payment (daily living) or attendance allowance himself because if he does then it might be better for you to claim income support as a carer instead of ESA.

    If you telephone the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 they will be able to check if there is any specialist organisation near where you live who would be able to help you with all this.

    Best wishes,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Cwtchfairy
    Cwtchfairy Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you so much for your reply Michael. I haven't had anything in writing yet though, so I will wait until I receive this before I do anything. 
    Thank you too for the link and telephone number. This site is so helpful. X
    The Cwtch Fairy 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.